Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chick Supplies!!


There are a few things that are a must for the tweety babes.

1. a safe place to live indoors:
These little cheepers won't be ready to go outside until they have their real feathers which takes about a month so make sure you pick something you can use for a month or something you can easily transition out of and into a larger container....*plastic rubber maid type boxes work great**

2. Warmth:
You gotta keep 'em warm....you need a heat lamp with a RED bulb. Yes, it has to be red....keeps them from going blind, and keeps them from thinking its always daytime....at least that is the info i got. You also have to attach the heat lamp on or above the home so that the chick level temp is 95 degrees and the home needs to be set up and warmed up to temp 2 days before brining them home. You will be decreasing your temp 5degrees a week until you reach the temp you keep your house or garage or where ever you are putting their home. (All the temp info came from My best buddy Jen St.Clair *thanks chick)

3. Food:
Pick a food that is for chicks. I chose Purina chick starter/grower. Was about $16 at Tractor Supply for a 50 lb bag. You don't need a 50 pound bag....I'm either an idiot or just hopeful that I'll do sooooo well this year that I want to hatch my own next year. *you need a feeder....I chose a small chick feeder from Tractor Supply that "auto feeds" with a mason jar type container (plastic for easy cleaning) $2.50 per piece...top and bottom about $5 together

4. Water:
Fresh water changed out a few times a day in the beginning. Chickens are stupid, no really....stupid....they poop in their water, they get bedding in their water....it gets gross quick, so change it out often! *you need a water container** I chose one from tractor supply that is plastic "auto feeder" one. $2.50 per piece...top and bottom about $5 together

5. bedding: I chose pine shavings from Tractor supply. about $5 for the HUGE brick...no idea how much is in there, I just know it was a big'un! EVERYONE who raises chickens said NO CEDAR CHIPS/SHAVINGS....I guess it makes them sick....


*TOTAL SPENT ...so far :
$23 - Chicks
$16- 50 lb bag of feed
$10- a 2 part feeder and a 2 part waterer
$5- Bedding
$9- heat lamp
$8- red heat bulb
$6- dollar general plastic tub (i have a large one to grow into in my attic, so that would have been free, GGRRR!)

$77 ** soooo far! there is still the coop to build....

2 comments:

  1. No idea what happened with the pic here...but I ain't changin' it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. **update...you totally do need a 50lb bag if you raise more than a few chicks...lol....I STILL buy the 50lb bags of the starter feed because I can't get the inbetween feed around here...so its safer for their systems to eat the starter feed until they are old enough for the layer feed!!

    ReplyDelete